Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spinach and Tomatoes

It is officially spring! On Monday, March 24, I planted a row of Burpee's Bloomsdale Long-Standing Spinach. Seedlings should emerge in 7-14 days and in 48 days it should be harvest time. Meanwhile, inside, I am starting Ramapo tomato plants from seed. This is something new for me. I usually buy some plants and find volunteer tomatoes popping up. These volunteers are usually cherry tomatoes.

The Ramapo is a New Jersey tomato developed by Rutgers in 1968 known for it's exceptional flavor. The seeds have not been sold for a number of years so this is the tomoato of the year for Jersey home gardeners. I started my seeds March 19th. Most have sprouted in the last two days. I have hight hopes!

2 comments:

christine M said...

I'm looking forward to tomatoes from your garden!

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! The Ramapo tomatoes sound so good, but so does ANY NJ tomato....

Ro