Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Veteran's Perspective



Bill is a friend, neighbor, fellow prayer group member and now I learn a veteran. I loved his e-mail and he said it was OK to post it.



Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 16:06:40 EDT
Subject: MC Fox: Ship's Log

I arose at -got out of the sack-at 0915. I was as quiet as as a Church Mouse. Very quiet. She did not hear me. I got my Navy sweatshirt out and my Myles C. Fox Hat. I ironed the sweatshirt but then realized that if I tried 'marching' in that--it was going to be around 85 degrees,-- I would look like a sausage and I would 'cook' like one. I abandoned that sweatshirt.

I had a blue, long sleeve shirt. The Navy has 'blues'. A black tee shirt under the 'blues' and my Hat-- the whole 'Magic' would be in that hat..

Took all of my pills.- pill for the heart --and pill for what is left of my Colon-cant rush out of the Parade to go to the 'Head' along the route. Ate some protein to counteract the Hypoglycemia and took a flask of apple juice. I was, now, 'seaworthy'..

She caught me at the door.

"I will be fine" Fine "I said .
"I have my cell phone" Truth is I forgot it.
I got to the 'Muster Zone' and looked around for Veterans of any size -shape -color-or age.

Saw a sailor -well a sailor hat. I rushed up to him -put on my Myles C. Fox and a big smile came over him. He said he just had knee surgery and didn't think he could make it but would go a few blocks. He was a lot younger than me and served during Vietnam.

He had to excuse himself to rush off to see a Coast Guard fellow who was dressed in his full uniform.

I kept looking around for all of the Veterans. "Where the heck are they"?

Finally I 'spied' a group of real old men standing off to the side.
"Veterans I hope."

I put on the 'Hat' and instantly they all reached out to shake my hand. It was a nice warm welcome. There were only about nine of us. Not so good really. I was glad I could help represent Veterans.

I explained that I was only 'Peace Time' and felt guilty getting any
applause or 'honor'. That really belonged to those Veterans who put them selves in 'Harms way' and my only 'harm' came from a girl in San Diago Cuba.

But my 'duty' today was to march in honor of those good men before me and after me as well as my Dad and my Uncles who did serve -with distinction.

Well, I would up on the front line of the Parade -pure accident. I found myself between The Kitty Hawk and the World War Two Veteran,. He said he served all of his time in Madison Wisc.. he still fit in his Uniform. I asked him if he kept active because this was almost a three mile March. He said he did.

He said he feared if he stopped walking he would never get started again-not in the parade but in life. Mr. Kitty Hawk was full of life.. He asked when I was in. I told him. He said "I was born the year you got out.. He said he was stunned to find out I was
seventy years old. He thought I was about fifty. So my day was made right there and then.

He served in the Seventh Fleet. His favorite port of call was the
Philippines. He confessed to a wild tour of debauchery during his entire enlistment. He worked in the Engine room.

"Wait a minute " I said to him, "that makes you a 'Snipe' right" ?
I told him how we just studied that 'subject' on our Website..
He said he really didn't feel like a Veteran because he was always below decks. Dirty and smelly.
I said "well how do you think I feel"?

I asked him if the Ship could sail without his 'Group'.?
"Well, no it couldn't"
"Well then-- there."
"Veteran you are."

The crowd was really wonderful-applause all along the way. Men saluting. People standing and cheering. I tried to 'deflect' all that came my way unto these two more deserving Veterans.

Then I decided that the moment called for me to act like kind of a 'Hero' because this what these people came to see. So I did. I waived back, vigorously, and with great confidence like maybe I really was somebody. I made believe I was my Uncle Joe. My Dad said he was one of the finest soldiers he had ever seen.

I did my job. Did it well. When I got to the end of the route we all shook hands-hard hand shakes --vowed to be back again next year.

They left. I sat on the steps, by myself, under the town's War Memorial. I said a few prayers of 'thanks' and for those brave men who lost their lives defending our great country.

Then to cap it off a little girl from a marching Girl Scout Troop rushed up to me and handed me a large handful of candy.. I realized that someone in the crowd must have pointed me out to her and for
her to do this nice deed for an old Veteran.

Touching, eh ?

The only problem was that most of it was Gum and since the Gum Surgery is still fresh. -All I could do was just look at it and then put it in my pocket and store away the wonderful memories of the day.

Mission Accomplished. Ship returned to Port.

Bill
SOG 3
56' 59'

No comments: