Sunday, February 1, 2009

Ice Skating

Yesterday Bill and I went to Teddy and Patti's so Bill could help Teddy put shelving in a closet. Teddy suggested I bring my ice skates because there is a place nearby where perhaps Patti and I could take the kids for skating.

Well, the last time I skated was a couple of years ago with my dear Roseabelle and we didn't do so well. In fact my dear friend gave me her skates after that outing because she wouldn't be needing them anymore.

So at the rink I put on my skates, stepped onto the ice and that's about as much as I did. Standing and moving a few feet was pretty much it. My skates just weren't working! Patti tried them on for me and she did much better than me but she wasn't exactly zipping around. She asked if I'd ever had them sharpened. I said "no" and she said "Well, I think that would help since these skates are probably 50 years old." I laughed , "No, not 50 years." "When did you get them?" Me: "Umm, in highschool." Time does fly!

But speaking of flying, Timmy astonished me. He's still three years old, has only skated a few times and he skates like a pro! He was zipping around on the ice with his hockey stick and hitting the puck. Bridget also did very well!

But now what do I do? Do I get 50 year old skates sharpened? Maybe I should borrow Timmy's skates?

2 comments:

kristen said...

I would get the skates sharpened. It does make a big difference. Not that I ice skate, but I did hang out with members of the college hockey team. They did it religiously.

Anne K said...

Patti emailed me - "If you borrow Tommy's skates will you also be Olympic bound???:)"

One never knows!