Saturday, December 6, 2008

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa


I had decided several years ago that I wanted to celebrate my mother's 100th birthday even though she had died at the age of 93 on January 4, 2002. I was babysitting my grandson Anthony the day I decided this. He was about 5 and he thought it was a great idea. He wanted to come and he then began naming some of his aunts and uncles and asking if we could celebrate when they die too! Well, we did include Anthony. He sang Happy Birthday on the phone along with us.

Present at our party were friends, Alice, Jim, Dorothy, Michael and Roe. We sang our traditional family song, Fill My House, before eating. During dinner we all talked about our mothers and it really was very interesting and enjoyable.

I scanned the first page of mom's babybook. It says:

Ruth Marion Howard was born at 403 Bear St. Syracuse, NY, Dec.5, 1908. at 8 o'clock A.M. Mrs. Merrett Learborn was her nurse. Dr. Peck was her doctor. On the eleventh day her mother gave her her bath.

She weighed 7 seven pounds and had long black hair.

Ruth was not forgotten her first Xmas. From Miss Marion Sewell of Jamestown, NY she received a solid silver spoon. From her Aunt Josephine, a pair of bootees, from her parents a baby carriage and a cake.

Well, Mom, sorry you didn't eat cake with us. It doesn't look as though you got to eat any of your first cake either.

Happy Birthday, Mom. You were loved by many!

2 comments:

christine M said...

Sounds like a great party. Fitting for a great woman!

Anonymous said...

Great People deserve Great respects